Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Leadership Series: Being an Executive Leader



Hello Readers,

A few months ago I asked some of the members of my executive staff at my place of employment few career questions (I encourage you to do the same). As I have interviewed and spoken with many leaders in various positions I come across a common theme. The theme was that each leader had to learn a valuable lesson; leadership is different from what they expected, especially on an executive level. Read the tips I gathered from Adam Silva, a well-respected executive leader. Disclaimer, these are his words straight from the heart. I learned a lot here. My favorite is number 2. Let me know what your favorite is.

Question #1: 1. Did you always see yourself as an executive of an organization? Was it something you pursued?

1. I understood being a senior executive was less about me and more about those I would lead and manage. I had to learn this later in my career.
2. I realized being a leader and manager in an organization meant doing all I could to combine and practice deep personal humility with the professional will to succeed in service to others and the organization’s mission.
3. My definition of success has two components: First, personal relationships - the ability to love and be loved. And second, commitment to a transcendent cause - a cause greater than self. Love and serve those you lead and work with and immerse yourself in pursuit of your corporate mission and you have the ingredients for success in your career. 

Question #2: What did you do to get to where you are now in your career? What steps did you take intentionally for personal and career growth?  (This one I could not paraphrase, it was too rich with good information)

1. I’ve read many articles and books about professional development and have received tons of advice on what to do to succeed in my career. To be honest, I’ve listened to little of it. The long and short of my career progression comes down to two things: 1. I made professional and career decisions, often “head scratchers,” based on what was best for my family, specifically my marriage and my children (in that order). 2. I simply tried to do the next right thing, whatever that was at the time. The two greatest professional decisions I’ve ever made were graduating from West Point in 1993 and marrying my wife one month later. I was once asked what my greatest business success/decision was and my answer stumped the interviewer. I told him, without sarcasm, “I chose the right woman.” He responded with, “No, not a personal decision, a professional decision.” I simply said, “choosing (or being blessed by God with) my wife was the best thing I ever did for my career. Everything I’ve done has been with her support and without her I don’t know where I’d be.” I don’t think he truly understood what I was saying but I surely do. The strength of my marriage and the relationship I have with my wife makes everything in my professional life possible.

Question 3: What 3 tips can you provide someone who wants to grow in their career?
 
1. Be humble and hungry (humility and professional will)
2. Serve others and a cause greater than self. 
3. Practice integrity in all you do - be honest and tell the truth with love and kindness but ALWAYS tell the truth.


Watch the Career Tip of the Week here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel, like our FBpage, follow me on Twitter and Instagram and share with a friend.
Your thoughts are always welcome…
MJW

No comments:

Post a Comment